Madison Blues Society
is an Affiliate Member of
the Blues Foundation
Check us out
at Local Sounds
MBS Meetings are held on the 2nd Monday of each month starting at 6:00PM downstairs at the Argus Bar and Grill at 123 E. Main Street, Madison. Everyone is welcome!
- FUNDRAISER AT CAPITAL BREWERY
- MALLARDS BASEBALL/BLUES OUTING
- BLUES PICNIC ART CONTEST
- 13TH ANNUAL BLUES PICNIC
8th ANNUAL WILD WOMEN OF THE BLUES!
- WI AREA BLUES FESTIVAL GUIDE 2015
- INTERNATIONAL BLUES CHALLENGE 2015
- BLUES DOCTOR'S BEST BLUES RECORDINGS OF 2014
Please join us at a benefit for the Madison Blues Society, sponsored by the Capitol Brewery on May 16 and 17 in their outdoor stage area at 7734 Terrace Ave, Middleton. There'll be no admission fee but donations will be gladly accepted. The show will go on rain or shine. Parking is abundant a couple blocks away if you follow the signs leading under the viaduct. Food from Middleton BBQ will be available both days.
On Saturday, May 16th, music will be provided by
- Future of the Blues - Blues/Rock - 4:00PM to 4:45PM
- Blythe Gamble & the Rollin' Dice - Blues - 5:00PM to 8:00PM
On Sunday, May 17th, music will be provided by
- Ryan McGrath Band - Blues/Country/Rock - 2:00PM to 5:00PM
There'll be lots of friends and fun. Hope to see you there!
MBS is organizing a Mallards outing on Friday June 12, 2015 at Warner Park. Tickets are $10.00 each. This price includes a Mallards cap!
Associated with this Mallards outing is a CONTEST to recruit new members for MBS! Whoever recruits and signs up the most new members between now and June 1, 2015 will have the honor of throwing out the first pitch before the Mallards game!
New Member Recruiters: Be sure to keep track of your recruits!
Summer is on its way - take me out to the ball game!
|Mallard's Baseball Ticket||$10|
NOTE: For PayPal orders, your name will be put on the Will Call list.
The Madison Blues Society announces an Art Contest for a design or artwork to promote their 13th Annual Blues Picnic/Festival. The winning design will be printed on T-shirts for the summer event, which draws several thousand attendees. This year's event will be held on Saturday, June 20th at Warner Park. For more information on the Blues Society or the event, go to the MBS website at: www.madisonbluessociety.com.
Contest winner will receive $100 and an event T-shirt with their design on it. We'd also like to honor the winning artist at the event, if possible.
The General Parameters Of The Contest Are As Follows ...
- The design should represent or be connected to Blues music, Blues culture, or the history of the Blues.
- You're encouraged to include multicultural elements in your design, since the music originated in African-American communities. (See brief explanation below.)
- Artwork/design needs to work well on a t-shirt, so please be aware of size/scale.
- Use at most 3 colors, if possible, to limit printing costs. Fewer than 3 colors would be preferred.
- The work should incorporate (somewhere in the design or on its perimeter) the following:
- 13th Annual Blues Picnic
- Madison Blues Society
- All designs should be submitted by May 1, 2015. They can be mailed or emailed to:
- email@example.com, or
- Art Contest, 2892 Mickelson Pkwy Suite 206, Madison WI 53711
"Blues is a genre and musical form that originated in African-American communities in the 'Deep South' of the United States around the end of the 19th century. The genre is a fusion of traditional African music and European folk music, spirituals, work songs, field hollers, shouts and chants, and rhymed simple narrative ballads."
For ideas, get some background on this great event at our Blues Picnic webpage!
If you have any questions, please call (608) 381-0008. We'd be happy to clarify anything.
The 31th Annual International Blues Challenge (IBC) is over and the winners are announced! The events took place during the second to last week in January in downtown Memphis. Quarter and Semi-Finals were held at more than 20 clubs up and down Beale Street with the Finals at the beautiful Orpheum Theater.
AND HERE ARE THE WINNERS!
- BAND COMPETITION
- First Place: Eddie Cotton from the Vicksburg Blues Society
- Second Place: Noah Wotherspoon from the Dayton Blues Society
- Third Place: Nico Wayne Toussaint from the Southern California Blues Society
- BEST INSTRUMENTALIST
- Gibson Guitar Best Guitarist: Noah Wotherspoon from the Dayton Blues Society
- Lee Oskar Harp Award: Nico Wayne Toussaint from the Southern California Blues Society
- SOLO/DUO COMPETITION
- First Place: Randy McQuay from the Cape Fear Blues Society
- Second Place: Brian Keith Wallen from the Dayton Blues Society